NC Applied Sciences – Scoping Exercise Update (SCQF levels 5 and 6)
SQA recently carried out a scoping exercise to ascertain if the level 5 and level 6 NC Applied Sciences Group Awards were still fit for purpose.
The review consisted of online surveys of delivering centres, universities and present and former learners. In addition, as a follow up to the online surveys, there was telephone contact with delivering centres, universities, employers and training providers.
The key recommendations from the review are summarised below:
- The structure of the Group Award frameworks should remain broadly similar.
- Science CfE Units are suitable direct replacements for their predecessors.
- New bespoke science Units should be written at SCQF level 5, one credit each for biology, chemistry and physics to be included in the level 6 Group Award.
- A new bespoke mathematics Unit should be written at SCQF level 4 to replace the mandatory Numeracy (H225 74) Unit in the level 5 Group Award.
- The level of mandatory mathematics for the level 6 Group Award should remain the same – SCQF level 5.
- The Mathematics for Science (F3T8 11) Unit should be re-written to encompass numerical application in laboratory tasks.
- A new bespoke mathematics Unit should be written at SCQF level 5, for the level 6 Group Award, to complement the revised Mathematics for Science (F3T8 11) Unit.
- Component Units from the Intermediate 2 and Higher Biotechnology courses should remain available for the level 5 and level 6 Group Awards.
- Component Units from the National 5 Skills for Work: Laboratory Science course should be included in the optional sections of the level 5 and level 6 Group Awards.
All of the above key recommendations have now been approved, and work will start later in the year to revise the level 5 and level 6 NC Applied Sciences Group Awards. It is anticipated that the revised Group Awards will be available for delivery from August 2017.
For further information, please contact Kirsty – firstname.lastname@example.org